Police Activity in Port Elgin and Kincardine Ends with Fatal Shooting, SIU Invoked
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating after OPP discharged a firearm during an arrest attempt on the Bruce-Saugeen Townline in Kincardine, leaving one person dead.

What began Saturday afternoon as reports of a serious motor vehicle collision in Port Elgin and a heavy police presence south of town has since been linked to a fatal police-involved shooting now under investigation by Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit.
In a statement released Sunday, Ontario Provincial Police said members of the South Bruce Detachment attempted to arrest an individual at approximately 5:50 p.m. on February 21.
The individual had reportedly been involved in multiple incidents earlier in the day across South Bruce and Huron County.
According to the announcement, officers with the OPP Emergency Response Team and Canine Unit located the individual at a residence on the Bruce-Saugeen Townline in Kincardine. During the interaction, police discharged a firearm. The individual was pronounced deceased.
No further details about the circumstances leading up to the shooting have been released.
Police activity first became public at 4:44 p.m. Saturday, when OPP West Region announced a full closure of Bruce-Saugeen Townline between Side Road 10 and J & I Side Road, citing a heavy police presence and asking motorists to avoid the area.
Shortly afterward, Saugeen Shores Police reposted the advisory and added a second location — the intersection of Goderich Street and Gustavus Street in Port Elgin — instructing drivers to avoid that area as well. At the time, police stated there was no danger to the public.



By early evening, Saugeen Shores Police confirmed they were responding to a “serious motor vehicle collision” at Goderich and Gustavus, describing the matter as a joint investigation with the Ontario Provincial Police. No information was released regarding injuries, the number of vehicles involved, or whether anyone had been taken into custody.
As of 6:00 p.m., the Goderich and Gustavus intersection had reopened. At 7:30 p.m., OPP again stated there was no ongoing threat to public safety. The Bruce-Saugeen Townline remained closed into the night.
Because the Special Investigations Unit has invoked its mandate, the OPP said it will not provide additional information. The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates incidents involving police where there has been death, serious injury, or allegations of sexual assault.
The identity of the deceased has not yet been released or confirmed by police.
Owen Sound Current has submitted questions to the SIU and will update this story as more information becomes available.
Related:



